Friday 16 August 2013

Vavi to challenge suspension and pursue charges

Kgothatso Madisa
@Kgmadisa


Zwelinzima Vavi addresses the media.
Zwelinzima Vavi has every intentions of challenging the decision by Congress of SA Trade Union (Cosatu) to suspend him, reporters heard on Friday at the Parktonian Hotel in Johannesburg.

Cosatu’s Central Executive Committee suspended Vavi on Wednesday pending a hearing after he admitted to having sex with a junior worker in the Cosatu House.

Vavi said that he will be challenging the decision because he believes it was prejudice and it trampled on his rights.

“A number of affiliate leaders prejudiced themselves in that they clearly had influence by the so-called intelligence report circulated by the president.

“The decision to suspend me in order to launch an investigation is unfair and invalid and has
trampled on my rights as an individual. I was not given an opportunity to motivate why I shouldn’t be put on special leave,” said Vavi.

He said that he does not understand nor accept the decision to suspend him pending an investigation because he has publicly apologised and the allegations against him have been withdrawn.

“I am facing no charges, no case has been opened against me, either of sexual harassment or rape.

Zwelinzima Vavi leaves the Parktonian Hotel.
 “I have broken no Cosatu policy on any matter in relation to the issue of a relationship, there is no such a policy in Cosatu that governs who should have a relationship with who,” Vavi reiterated.

Vavi said that he will continue with the case against the lady who accused him of rape despite her withdrawal.

 “I don’t want to send a signal to anyone that the reason why I took the matter to the police is because I was trying to intimidate her into silence.

“I do somehow feel that the lady got her to be used in the manner that she herself suggests in
the smses and that it is up to her to reveal the forces that she is defending, who are behind her,” he said.

Numsa supporters sending Zwelinzima Vavi off with a song.
Vavi addressed members of National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) who have since taken a strong stance about not recognising the decision by Cosatu and told them that his fate lies in their hands.

“I have just addressed the press conference and I want you to get the documents that I gave to everybody that was inside and read it for yourselves.

“When you read that, you will come to realise how big plot is to deal with me as an individual. From now on, now that I have put it on the table, my future depends on you.


“I know that the greatest forest for all the revolutionaries is the masses, thank you,” said Vavi who immediately left the venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment